Money Exchange


When I exchanged $80 and received 34000 pesos . It came as a shock that the peso were in bundles of 10s and 20s . Remember $1 = 350 peso . 

So I had 35 x 10 peso  notes to one dollar.


The dealer said this was normal . A lot of notes with little value . My tandem partner confirmed as such too . 


When I was at the Colonia Express desk I was in shock when a customer handed over a wad of notes . The attendant put the lot in a machine to be counted . 


I need 150,000 pesos for my cycling trip . Equivalent to 400$ . But the highest note is a 1000 peso . So I have 150 x 1000 notes to carry with me . It was counted out using a similar machine . 


The highest value note is 1000 peso . About £3 with blue rate. In a couple of months time they may have the 2000 peso note . So it's not unusual to see people with wads of paper peso . It looks a lot but it's value is really low . 


This is a photo of 150 x 1000 peso notes that I need to pay to my cycling organiser .




This a photo of 20 , 10 and 50 notes which I received as change . They don't have coins . They are worth

  • 50 = 50/350 = 1/7 of 1 usd = 15 cent = 12 pence 
  • 20 note = 5 pence 
  • 10 note = 3 pence 


Reading up before arriving here gave the impression that you could use 


I find the first days is getting to grips with money exchange 

  • Monzo great for atm but don't get blue rate I. Argentina 
  • Paying hotel with credit card saves 21% tax. Paying in cash have to pay this 
  • Western union best for cash withdrawals 
  • This really is peso not dolllar land
  • Pay what you can by credit card 
  • Refund by credit card in 4 days 
This bundle paid for my £7 meal . 

N

Popular posts from this blog

Flying the flags

Connection with people

Mate - the bitter tea - shared